CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, December 16, 2008

A Bittersweet Christmas

Bittersweet......that's what Christmas is for me this year. I've been avoiding the term. But I can't anymore. It's too real. Bear with me through the 'bitter'. The 'sweet' is way better.

The bitter part is that this is the first Christmas without my beloved sister-in-law Julie. She was married to my oldest brother, and she was one of my closest and dearest friends. Julie died this past March of an extremely rare, and obviously fatal disease. She went into the hospital on Nov 1st 2007, and never came home. Julie was the epitome of a Christian wife, mother, grandmother....the list goes on. There's a definition of a Godly woman in Proverbs Chapter 31. That was Julie. She was 10 years older than me. I was a little girl of 8 years old when Julie came into my life. I've never known life without her, until now. I remember so much, and most especially the past 10 years, when we grew closer than ever before. She was my friend, my confidante, my giggle buddy, and most of all, my sister. I miss her SO much, but I rest in the knowledge that she is safe in the arms of our Lord.

Dear Lord, please help me get past this hurt. It hurts so bad. I know, time will heal, it always does. I guess God needed Julie more than I did. Julie has been reunited with loved ones that have gone on before her, and I know she's happy sitting at the feet of Jesus.

Julie, you'll never know how much I love you. Save me a place at the table. I'll join you someday. Then we can do an eternal lunch!

Now for the 'sweet'...Two new family members to celebrate Christmas with this year! Our granddaughter Peyton, and our beautiful new daughter-in-law Jessica! What joy! Jessica has been with us for about 3 years now, but THIS year she's officially a King, and of course, it's Pey-Pey's first Christmas, and from what I've seen so far, she is TOTALLY into it! We're babysitting her tomorrow so Mommy & Daddy can finish up their Christmas shopping, and this week our tree is up, so it'll be fun to see how she responds to it.

This weekend promises to be busy. Friday is our 3rd annual King Cookie/Candy Baking Party....then Saturday is Christmas shopping (I haven't started yet) a Costco run (one of my favorite places), and my plan for Sunday is to finally get to church!

So, while there is pain this Christmas, there is also joy. Amazing how God works...in the midst of pain, He gives us joy.

Thank You Lord, for the joy in our lives this year.

0 comments: