CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, July 17, 2008

Crooked Mechanics

Ok, I need to vent about crooked mechanics. Why is it that they feel the need to screw people over? I just don't get it.

Two recent cases in point: A couple of blogs ago, I talked about Jim's car needing a new starter. No problems there, got it done just fine by a local mechanic. Well, then, as I mentioned, it started acting up again, so we took it to the same mechanic. Keep in mind, we've used this particular mechanic off & on for years, so they know us, and we know them (or so we THOUGHT). Turns out it was the battery, but the reason I repeat all of this is that it ties in with an attempt to get more money that they should have fairly charged. The guy calls Jim:

'Hey Jim, it's *****. The battery is the problem. We can put a new one in for a little over a hundred bucks.' Jim says 'Thanks but no thanks, I can get a battery cheaper elsewhere and put it in myself, so just leave it where it is and I'll come over after work.'

So we get over to the mechanic's, and Jim starts taking out the battery. ***** comes over and says, 'Oh, btw, I noticed that's a NAPA battery. Maybe you can get prorated on it since it's an '05 battery' Ok yes, he DID tell Jim that, and we DID get it prorated, and only ended up paying $38 and some change, but the fact remains, that rather than tell Jim right up front that it was a NAPA battery and possibly eligible for prorating, we was more than willing to charge us far beyond a fair price.

Needless to say, that aside from the occasional oil change, (we have coupons with them) we will be looking for a different, and hopefully honest mechanic here in town.

Next case: Last blog I told about how the tranny in my Niece Willow's van went out. We had it towed to aforementioned mechanic, who in turn refered them to a tranny place in Escondido. Kev (Willow's hubby) is talking to the guy about how much it's going to cost to rebuild the tranny. They guy comes up with a ridiculous price of $5,000.00! No way, says Kev-no way we can do that. The guy then drops the price to about $3,800 and tells Kev 'We can get you financed. Just give me the last 4 of your social and we'll get started.' So Kev, not having anywhere else to turn, says ok. Next day the guy tells Kev 'Sorry, we couldn't get you qualified for financing, is there anyone else who can help?' Long story short, Kevin didn't give this guy the go-ahead to fix his van, as he has no money to pay for it, so when he goes today to tell the guy it'll have to wait, the guy says he's almost done fixing it and when they can come up with the money, they can have their van back. I don't know about illegal, but I DO know it's unethical!

So I suggested that they go to Escondido Police Dept., and see if they can help, or if they can at least file a claim against this so-called mechanic. I looked this mechanic up-he's listed with the BBB, so I'll be passing that information along to Kevin as well. People like this just shouldn't be in business, and as I get older, I get more intolerant of lying/cheating/taking advantage, and I have NO problem calling those people on the carpet. It's just WRONG.

I've always said what goes around, comes around. Maybe not instantly, but definitely eventually! The Bible says that what we sow, we will also reap...so be it!

BTW-More mechanical problems. My van's front brakes started going out on me yesterday-NOT good. But God's provision allowed me to fork out the $240 for new brakes, by a mechanic that specializes in brakes, has been in Ramona for a LONG time, and is HONEST! Refreshing!

Until next time....blessings~

0 comments: