CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Our Precious Peyton






















I just read Auntie Shannon's blog, and decided to follow suit. Everyone has their own story about the day our beautiful little Peyton Marie King was born, one year ago tomorrow. Here's my story:






January 8th, 2008...Brian & Katie were supposed to be at the hospital around 7am for Katie's induction. I woke up around my usual 5am or so, and was enjoying a quiet waking up moment with my coffee. About 5:30am someone knocked on my door. I don't know about YOU, but when someone knocks at MY door at 5:30am, it can usually mean only one thing:bad news! I flipped on the light to see Brian & Katie there! Seems they had just left home for the hospital, and I can't remember if they'd called the hosp., or if the hosp. had called them, but at any rate, there was a delay. So since they didn't have to be to the hosp. until 9am, Brian had a cup of coffee with me, then he & Katie went back home to catch another hour or so nap before things started happening.

Jim & I left for the hosp. about 9am, knowing that there would be much to do on getting Katie settled in and the pitocin drip going, so no rush. We were geared up for the long haul. A change of clothes in the van for me, snacks, sodas, a blanket, and of course, my camera. We actually got up to her room around 10am, and she was already pretty uncomfortable, and dilated to about 4cm...about 10:30 Katie was very uncomfortable, and VERY politely called her nurse and said 'I think I'd like my epidural now please'...we always have a good laugh about that, because MOST women would be like 'gimme the %&*#@ drugs NOW!!!'...but not Katie. It's just not her nature to be anything but kind. Thats one of the things I love most about her. Anyway...Sandy (Katie's mom) and I decided around 11:30-ish to go down to the cafeteria and have lunch. We got back to her room about an hour or so later, and around 1pm Jim & Brian decided to go have a bite to eat. Not so fast Brian...all of a sudden Katie feel something happening, and feels like she needs to push! Call the nurse....ok. Nurse comes in, checks Katie. She's at 9 cm! So much for lunch Daddy-there's no time now! I get on the phone and call Shannon, who is up at Deer Springs Station visiting:
Mom;Hey Shan, where are you?
Shannon: Actually, I'm just getting of the 15 onto Pomerado Road. Why? What's up?
Mom: Umm...Katie's at 9 and about ready to push...
Shannon:Oh crap! And I'm stuck behind some old guy who's just cruisin' along!
Mom (Laughing): Ok well, just get here as quick as you can.

Apparently it wasn't TOO long till she got up to the room...and you can read HER account of how fast she got there on HER blog...LOL

So Katie starts pushing, and the nurse calls the Dr., who is in surgery, figuring that Katie, with a first pregnancy, will still go several more hours...NOT! Let me tell you something here: Katie was an absolute trooper! With Brian, Sandy and me coaching her on, we soon see the top of Peyton's blonde little head. Keep pushing honey, we can see her head! THEN...."Stop pushing Katie, the Dr isn't here yet" from the nurse. Now those of you who have had babies know that if someone tells you to stop pushing, well, that's almost an impossibility. I know from experience, but Katie, bless her heart, kicked it into high gear, and you could just see the focus on her face, and it was WORK, but she panted her way through another 20 minutes or so before the Dr finally arrived gave her the go-ahead to just pop this baby out. 5 hours, start to finish. Incredible.

Aw man, I cannot begin to tell you the joy of watching a grandchild enter the world. It was indescribable.


Peyton has been such a source of joy in our family, and it's still reeling that tomorrow she turns 1. She's not only beautiful, but she's got this GREAT little personality, and is now coming into her own, temper and all, and it is SO precious.

Happy, Happy Birthday our beloved Peyton! We love you beyond words.
P.S. Yes, she really IS as happy as her pictures show!

1 comments:

Jessica said...

Is is so darling! Happy Birthday Peyton!