CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, March 5, 2009

Happy Birthday Katie!

Today is a VERY special lady's birthday! 'Our' Katie!

Ok, so, I should have posted this blog a couple of weeks ago, but time got away from me, and....well, you know how it goes.

Rewind almost 4 years. Brian is leaving for Ione, off to the Fire Academy for Engineers. He's at an all-time low, and is definitely 'down on women' in his words. Of course my thoughts and prayers are with him. When your kid is hurting, you're hurting too.

Fast forward 6 weeks or so. Brian is home for memorial Day weekend. He & I are chatting in the kitchen, and I ask him if the rumors I'm hearing through the family grapevine are true. That he's met someone. My first thought is to take that guy and shake him till his teeth rattle! What IS he....CRAZY??? THIS soon? After what he's been through??? He 'confesses'. Now, my kids can attest to this next statement. My boys especially. I'm point blank with them. 'Brian, is this woman someone you can see yourself spending the rest of your life with? Someone to have a family with, and grow old with?' Without one iota of hesitation, he says, 'Yes Mom, she is. She's the one'. Good enough for me, but I still want to meet the young woman who has unequivocally captured my son's heart.

Katie came down a short while later to visit Brian, and Brian had cautioned us that Katie was on the shy side, and not to be too upset if she wasn't real social. Are we talking about the same girl here Brian? He brought her in, and she was like a missing puzzle piece to our family! She came in, sat down, and talked to us like she'd known us all her life. And that was just the beginning.

Katie has been a source of joy in our lives. She's the definition of what I, as a mom, wanted in a wife for my son. She is the definition of what I wanted in a mommy for my grandchildren. We look forward to many happy years with her....happy birthday honey. We love you so....

0 comments: