CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, May 17, 2009

Happy Birthday To ME!

Yep, it's MY turn. My birthday isn't really until tomorrow, but I have to write things down as I think of them, or they'll 'poof' from my brain...

I'm 52. Never had a problem with revealing my age. It's only a number. Well, maybe not....SOME days I wake up and feel about 90! The body just isn't 18 anymore, and never lets me forget that fact! LOL....give me an hour out of bed and I'm as good as...well...a 52-year-old!

There's not much to tell about me really. Born in the Pacific Northwest (near Portland, OR), the 6th of 7 children. Moved to Ramona at age 5, where I've been ever since. Met & married Jim here, raised my kids here...I guess it's all about Ramona, huh? :)

I was the proverbial 'goody-two-shoes'. My mom, being a single mom of 7, HAD to be strict, and it just wasn't worth it to 'screw up'. So many good childhood memories in Ramona. Back then, in the mid 60's, the population here was around 5,000. You knew just about everyone you met on the street. Two tiny grocery stores, and you knew the owners....and their kids too! Walks with mama down Main Street at 9 o'oclock on a warm summer evening. Kid brother David checking each pay phone as we passed by, hoping for success in finding a shiny coin. That kid was lucky! Sleeping with doors and windows WIDE open on a hot summer night. No fear of crime-this town was safe! ONE Sheriff. He knew everyone, and everyone knew him. Great guy! Playing in the middle of the street, with no fear of being run down by a 'speeder'.....long bike rides on summer days, just David and me, all over Ramona. Mom wasn't worried. We were safe. Playing on the school grounds was fun, especially the ball courts. They're gone now. Trick or Treating-ALONE, and again, no fear of harm. You knew everyone who's house you went to. Ice cream cones at the Jolly Cone-a friend was the owner. Mananas is there now. A special treat was dinner at the Ranch Drive-In...El Ranchita is there now. SO many memories. How I LOVE yesteryear, when life was so simple, innocent, and uncomplicated. I'd go back in a heartbeat, just to relive the wonderful times.

I married Jim just shy of my 17th birthday. That was 'acceptable' back then-wasn't unusual at all. At the time, there were those who gave us MAYBE 5 years. It's been 35. Guess we showed them, huh? I was blessed to be a stay-at-home-mom. Shannon was in 2nd grade before I got my first job. It was perfect. The kids were in school from 8-2, and my job was from 9-1. Eventually, of course, each child grew up and left 'home', but there was usually a family member to take their place in the empty bedroom, and on occasion, each child has moved back 'home' for a period. Our last 'chick' to leave the 'nest', was my niece Julie, 2 years ago. She lived with us briefly until she met & married her hubby Jeremy. It took some getting used to, this 'empty nest'. I've loved having everyone here, but now I'm used to it.

The past few years have been a season of discovering who PENNY is. Now, what I'm about to say is true, but in NO way am I speaking regretfully. I wouldn't change what I've done. See, when I got married, and had my kids, I kind of put MY wants and needs on the back burner. I kind of lost sight as to who I was, and what MY purpose in life is. I've always been very family-oriented. Family has ALWAYS come first, no matter what. Jim & I had SO much fun being involved with our kids. Sports, music, whatever, we always did things as a family. I instilled in my children that your family comes above all others, and I am proud to say that they took heart, and that's exactly how things are.

But now....it's just Jim & me. As I reflect on the past 52 years, I have to ask myself, 'what have I accomplished, and where do I go from here?' Well, in answer to question #1....there are 3+answers: Jimmy, Brian, & Shannon, their spouses and their children. This is by far my greatest accomplishment. If I accomplish nothing else in this life, I can die today knowing that some of the most wonderful human beings on this earth share my DNA, and that I was blessed by their births.

I have found my role in life it seems. The role of servant hood-and I mean that in the most respectful way. I care for people. My calling came a LONG time ago-about 30 years ago to be exact, when I started caring for my ailing mom. Out of 7 siblings, I was the only one left in Ramona, so I just did what I had to do, and didn't think twice about it. I've cared for others as well, and there's no greater satisfaction than knowing you helped make someone final years happy and easier. And loved.

So, here I am. 52. A 'Golden Girl'. Still wondering who I really am, and what it is that my heart desires. I guess I really needn't worry about WHO I am, or what I want. I am a child of God, and He will help me along the path of self discovery. I am a work in progress. I think I'll just sit back, enjoy the 'ride of life', and take each day as it comes.

So, that's it. Just a small portion of my story. I hope you've enjoyed reading it as much as I've enjoyed reliving it. Maybe I should write a book, hmmm???

Until next time~God Bless~

0 comments: