CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, May 7, 2009

Happy Birthday Brian!

Due to family emergencies and illnesses, this blog is late.

My son Brian turned 31 on Tuesday. Let me tell you, in THIS mom's words, about Brian.

We almost didn't have him. He wasn't breathing when he was born. I never heard his first cry, nor did I see him until he was about 5 hours old. Talk about a freaked out mama! So freaked out that I got out of bed without permission, and told Jim if HE didn't take me to the nursery RIGHT NOW, I'd go by myself. So we went, and as we walked through the nursery doors, I passed out. Too soon after giving birth to be out of bed, but my baby boy needed me, and come hell or high water I was going to be with him! He'd swallowed amniotic fluid just before he crowned, and his lungs were full, and infection set in. He was in NICU for 2 weeks. There's nothing harder than leaving the hospital with empty arms.

I also had a 3 year old at home. Jimmy was so excited about having a baby brother, and so crushed when we came home without Brian. He literally sobbed, which, of course, made mommy join right in. It was tough. Spend the mornings with Jimmy, then head down to Mercy Hosp. and spend 4 or 5 hours with Brian, then head home in time to fix dinner and spend some quality time with Jimmy before he went to bed. We were exhausted, but the glorious homecoming day finally arrived, and we brought our precious son home!

Brian was a very mellow and good-natured baby. But boy, could that kid EAT! Wow! I always said I felt sorry for the women who married my sons, because their grocery bills would be astronomical! LOL...I think they've finally tapered off. No matter, I don't have to feed them anymore! LOL...Brian also liked to stick things where they don't belong. First time was a rock up his nostril. The dang thing was bigger than his nostril, and even the Dr couldn't figure out how he got it up there! The 2nd time was about 2 months later. A candy corn in his ear-that one was a false alarm, but we didn't know that until the ER visit, at which time the nurse asked me, 'Hey, isn't that the little guy that shoved a rock up his nose a couple of months ago?'...um...yeah.

Brian, at 22 months old, ran away from home. Not consciously, mind you. More like wandered away. I turned my back for 30 seconds (which was about 29 seconds too long) and poof-GONE. My mother lived up the street, so all I could think of was that since we'd walked the street dozens of times, maybe he headed up that way. I stuck 5 year old Jimmy in the doorway of our apt. with the instructions, 'if you see Brian, you grab him and drag him in here and do NOT let him out!'...there is no greater pain than not knowing where your baby is.....horrible, awful thoughts ran through my head: 'he's so little, there's NO way a car could see him over the hood! We're 1 block from Main Street! Oh dear God, PLEASE help me find my baby NOW!!!' I RAN (and for those of you who really know me, you know that I do NOT run) up towards mom's house. No Brian. Headed back for home to call the Sheriff, when something made me turn my head towards the fire station, which was then on 9th Street, and lo and behold, here comes our friend Bill-a firefighter-headed my way, with a smiling, tow-headed little boy named Brian-happily on his hip! I didn't know whether to hug him or beat him! I chose the former...LOL...I should've known then that that would be Brian's calling in life.

Fast forward 16 years or so. Brian is 18, and invites mom to lunch. While sitting there, he says, 'Mom, I believe God has called me to be a firefighter.' It was then that I handed Brian over to God and said, 'Lord, if you've called Brian to this career, I place him in Your hands, and I trust YOU to take care of him.' And He has. Brian's been in some pretty hairy situations, and yet, I don't fear for him, because I know he is safely in the palm of the Lord's Hand.

Brian has always been so good with kids. Always wanted kids. His dream was realized when he met and married Katie, and then just 16 months ago became a proud daddy to Peyton Marie.
To watch my son with his child is amazing. He's such a good daddy. Loving, patient, attentive. He's what good daddies are made of. He's what good husbands are made of. he's what good sons are made of.

I am so blessed to have the 2 best sons in the world. Brian, like his big brother Jimmy, cares deeply about his parents and siblings, and his closest friends. He's always there with a helping hand, a word of advice, and a hug of encouragement. I am beyond proud to call him my son.

Happy Birthday Brian. I love you.
Mom

0 comments: