CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, April 5, 2009

Happy Birthday Alissa!


April 6, 1998. 3:09am. Bleary-eyed relatives waiting in a tiny hospital waiting room. Actually, the waiting had begun 3 days earlier, when mom started having contractions. But this was the REAL thing. Auntie Lori burst into the waiting room. 'It's a girl!' Alissa Renae! 7lbs 12oz. Around 19.5 in. long. She was beautiful. Our first grandchild/first granddaughter. Born on our 24th wedding anniversary.
Alissa came into my life at a time when I needed something positive to pour my heart & soul into. I had been taken out of the workforce by a job-related injury, and my mother's ovarian cancer had metastasized. My kids were grown. Well, Shannon was a senior in high school, but pretty much grown up. I felt like no one really 'needed' me. Alissa was that shining star during the darkest of times.
I started babysitting Lissy when she was 6 months old. Daddy would drop her off about 6am, and mommy would pick her up about 4pm, so we had the whole day together. What a joy she was! A beautiful little blond-hair-blue-eyed princess. SO pretty, in fact, that I literally got stopped in stores and parking lots by people telling me what a beautiful baby I had! Of course, I corrected them right away, telling them she is my granddaughter, but oh, those buttons on my shirt nearly burst with pride. And talk about a good and easy baby!
Our days typically began quietly, then got busier as the hours went by. First was breakfast, then a short nap. Time for Teletubbies (her favorite!), Clifford The Big Red Dog, Blues Clues, and of course, Zoobomafoo (sp?)...morning snack, then off to go check on great-grandma, or take her down the hill for radiation. Lunch, then a nap, and then time for Grandpa to come home from work, which meant MAJOR playtime! She even, at a year old, helped Grandpa put in 'her' yard-right out there 'working' side-by-side with Papa, and getting just as dirty!
Lesa quit working about a week before Justen was born, so I had Liss over a year and a half, She was literally a God-send, and helped keep me sane during my mother's final months, and beyond.
I know she doesn't remember any of this, but we share a very special bond. I thank God for her. She was my 'saving grace'. Now she's 11. It's so hard to believe, but it's been such a joy and a blessing watching her grow and evolve into the beautiful young person she is today. I know she has a bright and happy future, and I am eager to share it with her!
Happy Birthday Alissa. Grandma loves you more than you'll ever know.

0 comments: